- Lightning – created due to the difference of charges within a thundercloud or the ground.
- Thunderstorm – a local storm produced by a cumulonimbus cloud and usually accompanied by lightning and thunder.
- ITCZ – Intertropical Convergent Zone; area or zone where the northeast and southeast trade winds meet. It brings heavy rains in the country and triggers the formation of tropical cyclones.
- Thunder – sound created by lightning due to the sudden expansion of air around it.
- Rain – precipitation in a form of liquid water drops.
- Trough – extension of a low pressure area.
- Habagat – also known as Southwest Monsoon
- LPA – Low pressure area; initial stage of a tropical cyclone. It is where the trough/s are connected.
- Flood – hazard produced by extreme rainfall over a certain area.
- Typhoon – a tropical cyclone category with maximum sustained winds of 118 to 220 kph.
Source: American Meteorological Society Glossary of Meteorology (http://glossary.ametsoc.org)